Wednesday 16 October 2019

Only in Totnes....

A few Sundays ago I walked along the River Dart from the Dartington Estate towards Totnes. 

The River Dart flows gently by the Dartington Estate

When I reached the Totnes Bridge I climbed the steps up to street level and walked to the nearby Morrisons supermarket to fetch a copy of our Sunday paper The Observer. Before walking home on the steep ascent of Fore Street and the High Street, I called in for refreshment at the Royal Seven Stars Hotel . Once my thirst had been quenched I began to scale the East Face of Totnes. For an ageing and not particularly fit person like myself, it's a stiff climb so when I reached the East Gate I had to stop for a breather before continuing my sojourn. Some minutes later and almost home now, I reached the summit at the Happy Apple store where momentarily I imagined I was experiencing an altitudinal illusion, for there, at the opening of Apple Lane,  a pony and a dog, both tethered to a cart were illegally parked. 

Illegally parked

On spotting their owner, a young man, a carter in his early thirties I would say, I immediately informed him of his misdemeanour and he laughed. Mockingly the two homeless men sitting on the pavement just outside Happy Apple alleyway warned of the terrible fate that would befall me if I were to grass the carter up.  As is said around these parts, "Only in Totnes....."

No comments: