Tuesday 21 January 2020

My wife's birthday and George Orwell

     
     Today is my wife's birthday. She was born on January 21st 1950 on the day George Orwell died.
I'm don't know if in some ethereal way she was responsible for this but in my opinion on that day the world got a fair exchange.
      She was never down and out in Paris and as an exceptional swimmer she was never coming up for air.
      She has successfully helped many students preparing for examinations to read Animal Farm. And in the way Eric Blair might have done, she also sees through the bluster of others.

"The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns, as it were, instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish squirting out ink."

    Insincerity may be the enemy of clear language but with its blood brother capitalism, it is also the enemy of freedom and is allied with slavery.  This is the statement I believe Orwell and my wife are making.
   Insincerity is represented by the employer who says, "I'll pay you a fair day's wage." Yet he doesn't. He creates small print or invents conditions that he says have been forced upon him.  He knows that you need the money, that you are desperate, and so he short changes you. When he no longer needs you, he discards you.

No comments: