Wednesday 17 October 2018

Dundee should have gone for Pep

As a lifelong supporter of Dundee Football Club, well, from the age of six anyway, I sincerely send my best wishes to Jim McIntyre, Dundee's newly appointed manager who appears to be a steady, experienced guy who has a fair to middling management record. 



Jim McIntyre manfully greetin' because he kens he's aboot tae get the sack

I was at Dens Park on the day Neil McCann scored his legendary goal in the Deefiant season of 2010/11 and I acknowledge his excellence as a Dundee player, though I have not appreciated his management approach which came, it seemed to me, with an arbitrary anger, that confused people and served to split off unfortunate individuals, to isolate them and to scapegoat them. 

My real regret is that the big bosses of Dundee FC did not push the boat out and appoint Pep Guardiola, a manager who, like Jim McIntyre, has a half decent record but most will agree that Pep has a bit more of the ritz and glitz about him than Jim does and we Dundee supporters are said to like that show biz kind of thing - think back to the Claudio Caniggia era.  If my less than contentious view is in fact our gospel, we've missed a trick here.  Pep would have been swayed to join us when we informed him (if he did not already know) that the last time Dundee played Manchester City, in July of 2014, we won 2-0 at Dens Park (not then associated with Kilmac) following goals from Harkins and Tankulic. Manuel Pelligrini, then the Manchester City manager, whatever he said to the contrary, was fair scunnered and he only lasted another two seasons in his job. I take the point and grant you that two seasons is quite a long time for a fitba' manager these days but people can see and understand what I'm trying to do here, (as Neil McCann never seemed to tire of saying after each defeat).



Pep glitzily and ritzily pickin' his nose 

OK,  the Manchester City match was a pre-season friendly but nonetheless we beat the side that had just won the English Premier League which made us  supreme among club football teams of the United Kingdom. I've dismissed an observation - made by a man down here in Totnes who I don't like quite as much as I used to -  that when Dundee United beat us the next time we played them following the aforementioned Manchester City match, United became the best team in the UK. For many obvious reasons, which I am not prepared to divulge to you here, his logic was flawed.

Here's tae the famous XI ! Let's keep makin' oor waye up tae Dens Park.


June 1st, 2019

Now Jim McIntyre has joined the long list of short-lived Dundee managers,  I'm pleased Dundee Football Club  has appointed James McPake as its new manager. The celebrated and sadly missed rugby commentator, Bill Maclaren, might have said, "James McPake is a solid citizen."  Let's hope he is so, Dundee Football club needs the quality and inspiration of such a man. Poor Pep missed out again.

No comments: