Wednesday 2 January 2019

George Best - a signed photie in the Artisan Bar

    One of the greatest footballers I ever saw play was George Best. He had a life of struggling but what a wondrous football player he was. On reflection I shouldn't seem so mean. He is the finest fitba' player I ever saw, and I've seen some greats, Pele, Dalglish, Baxter, Gilzean, Law, Cowie, Cooke, Charlton the younger, Caniggia and more but for all his troubles George was the "best". I last saw him in the late 60s playing for Manchester United in an evening match at Highfield Road, Coventry, when the Sky Blues (Coventry City) were still in the top league (they were called divisions in those days).

Well, (I suppose in these days I should have started the sentence with "so") over the New Year I was in the Artisan Bar on the London Road, Abbeyhill, Edinburgh and saw this signed photie of George taken during period when he played for Hibs.




    Like Van Gogh he struggled for his sanity but when we watched him play football he set us free. He also took the trouble tae leave us this photie.

No comments: